Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Medication

Well, we started Victoria on her meds this morning and it was not great.

She will be taking medication once a day (which is really nice) and has to take two capsules and a half of a pill. We started this morning at breakfast. We crush the pill and open the capsules and added the powder to yogurt (we will also use things like pudding, applesauce, etc.). I only mixed the medicine with about half of the yogurt in a separate bowl, so she could still eat the rest of the yogurt normal. She said it tasted yucky, but took it without too much complaint. She is taking Reyataz and Epzicom.

Then about 1 1/2 hours later she started complaining about her stomach hurting and just before lunch she told me she wanted to lay down. I put her in bed and less than 2 minutes later she came out and told me that her mouth spilled in her bed. It was so sweet. She doesn't have the words to tell me she threw up, so it was the only way she knew to explain to me what happened. We cleaned up her and her bed and gave her a nice bath. Then she fell asleep on the couch while I made lunch. I woke her up to eat and she did eat all of her lunch. After lunch she was much better.

I called the Dr's office to tell them she threw up and they said it was okay because it had been about 3 hours since she had the medicine, so most of it should have been absorbed. We are going to see how she does tomorrow, but if she throws up again we may try giving her meds at dinner. This way she has more food in her stomach from the day, so hopefully won't feel as bad or throw up.

The side effects of the medicine usually last for a few weeks while the body adjusts to them, so say a prayer for Victoria that she won't feel too bad during this time. I hope her little body adjusts quickly and these meds work well for her so we don't have to change.

Also, Victoria is getting her H1N1 shot tomorrow and has her first dentist appt. She has been saying her teeth hurt and I know she has cavities, so that isn't going to be fun either. I think she also has to get the 2nd dose of her regular flu shot this week, but maybe we can hold off until next week for that. She has a lot going on this week. Hopefully she won't hate me when it's all over with.

3 comments:

  1. Bless her heart! I hope the side effects dont last that long! I will be praying for her (and you!)
    Big news here: We are hosting a Ukrainian orphan for the holidays! We are so excited! Its a step in the right direction :)
    Feel better soon, sweet Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby and poor mama. I am praying for you. Victoria sounds like a real trooper. Love and prayers, Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor thing! We will be praying for her as she adjusts to all these new things.

    ReplyDelete